Journal of Current Glaucoma Practice

Register      Login

VOLUME 11 , ISSUE 1 ( January-April, 2017 ) > List of Articles

Original Article

Fellow Eye in Unilateral Primary Congenital Glaucoma

Nader HL Bayoumi

Keywords : Fellow, Normal, Primary congenital glaucoma

Citation Information : Bayoumi NH. Fellow Eye in Unilateral Primary Congenital Glaucoma. J Curr Glaucoma Pract 2017; 11 (1):28-30.

DOI: 10.5005/jp-journals-10008-1217

License: CC BY-NC 4.0

Published Online: 01-08-2019

Copyright Statement:  Copyright © 2017; The Author(s).


Aim: This is a report of the incidence of bilateral cases in a cohort of primary congenital glaucoma (PCG) cases and a study of the biometric characteristics of the fellow normal eyes in unilateral cases. Materials and methods: The charts of 134 PCG children were reviewed, of which 78 cases (58.2%) were found to have bilateral disease. The remaining 56 patients (41.8%) with unilateral disease had their fellow normal eyes compared with an age-matched cohort of ophthalmologically free children. Results: There were no differences between the normal fellow eyes of PCG cases and the control eyes in the corneal diameter and central corneal thickness (CCT), whereas the normal fellow eyes of PCG cases had higher intraocular pressure (IOP) and cup/disc (C/D) ratios. Conclusion: The fellow eyes of apparently unilateral PCG cases are not typically normal anatomically like other children unaffected by PCG. Clinical significance: A very high index of suspicion has to be kept for PCG cases that present apparently unilaterally, and meticulous prolonged follow-up is mandatory. How to cite this article: Bayoumi NHL. Fellow Eye in Unilateral Primary Congenital Glaucoma. J Curr Glaucoma Pract 2017;11(1):28-30.

PDF Share
  1. Taylor RH, Ainsworth JR, Evans AR, Levin AV. The epidemiology of pediatric glaucoma: the Toronto experience. J AAPOS 1999 Oct;3(5):308-315.
  2. Al-Hazmi A, Awad A, Zwaan J, Al-Mesfer SA, Al-Jadaan I, Al-Mohammed A. Correlation between surgical success rate and severity of congenital glaucoma. Br J Ophthalmol 2005 Apr;89(4):449-453.
  3. Beck A, Chang TC, Freedman S. Definition, classification, differential diagnosis. In: Weinreb RN, Grajewski A, Papadopoulos M, Grigg J, Freedman S, editors. Childhood glaucoma. Amsterdam: Kugler Publications; 2013. p. 3-10.
  4. Zagora SL, Funnell CL, Martin FJ, Smith JE, Hing S, Billson FA, Veillard AS, Jamieson RV, Grigg JR. Primary congenital glaucoma outcomes: lessons from 23 years of follow-up. Am J Ophthalmol 2015 Apr;159(4):788-796.
  5. Yassin SA, Al-Tamimi ER. Surgical outcomes in children with primary congenital glaucoma: a 20-year experience. Eur J Ophthalmol 2016 Nov 4;26(8):581-587.
  6. Aziz A, Fakhoury O, Matonti F, Pieri E, Denis D. Epidemiology and clinical characteristics of primary congenital glaucoma. J Fr Ophtalmol 2015 Dec;38(10):960-966.
  7. Tamçelik N, Atalay E, Bolukbasi S, Çapar O, Ozkok A. Demographic features of subjects with congenital glaucoma Indian J Ophthalmol 2014 May;62(5):565-569.
  8. Alanazi FF, Song JC, Mousa A, Morales J, Al Shahwan S, Alodhayb S, Al Jadaan I, Al-Turkmani S, Edward DP. Primary and secondary congenital glaucoma: baseline features from a registry at King Khaled Eye Specialist Hospital, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Am J Ophthalmol 2013 May;155(5): 882-889.
  9. Melki R, Colomb E, Lefort N, Brézin AP, Garchon HJ. CYP1B1 mutations in French patients with early-onset primary openangle glaucoma. J Med Genet 2004 Sep;41(9):647-651.
  10. Sarfarazi M, Stoilov I. Molecular genetics of primary congenital glaucoma. Eye 2000 Jun;14(Pt 3B):422-428.
  11. Suri F, Yazdani S, Narooie-Nejhad M, Zargar SJ, Paylakhi SH, Zeinali S, Pakravan M, Elahi E. Variable expressivity and high penetrance of CYP1B1 mutations associated with primary congenital glaucoma. Ophthalmology 2009 Nov;116(11): 2101-2109.
PDF Share
PDF Share

© Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers (P) LTD.